Monday, November 9, 2009

I'm Maybe Becoming a Productive Member of Society?

I met my former boss for coffee one day last week and he had some news for me. First, though, a little background.

FB (Former Boss) and I first met when I was working as a barista in the office tower where he worked. He'd come in at least once a day and when I started working in his office we'd stop to talk often. I ended up working on the team that he headed and that's what I was doing when I got the ax.

So. Just before meeting me for coffee, FB stopped into a different coffee shop he frequents and the manager mentioned that one of the employees at one of the shops she manages had just left and she asked if he knew anyone who was looking for work.

Woot.

The manager ended up coming into the shop where FB and I were talking and she and I exchanged information. I just talked to the person in charge of the hire at the shop with the vacancy and I'm going to meet her tomorrow afternoon. I'll fill out an application and we'll talk. She knows that I'm looking for full-time work in an office, but that I want to get back to work, even just part-time.

My unemployment benefits will be cut a little, but I'll be getting a paycheck and tips and maybe even free coffee. And, while I left the coffee industry on a sort of sour note, I did really enjoy the work. The making of drinks and interacting with customers was usually pretty rad.

No comments:

Post a Comment