Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The First Five Days


On Friday my boss, a great man I've known for about seven years, asked me to join him and our company's HR manager in a conference room. Our firm hadn't gotten a couple big projects we'd just applied for. There wasn't enough work to keep me.

I started working at that company in the summer of 2005. I worked in the mail room and at the front desk before joining other teams in administrative support roles.


After getting the boot, I was upset but had to meet with a supervisor to make sure my tiny workload was taken care of. I called my mom and started to cry. A couple (now former) coworkers took me to lunch, where we each had a margarita and quesadilla.

I'd amassed an insane amount of flair and tchotckes in the almost four years I'd worked there and it took a couple trips to take everything home. My (now former) boss drove me and my bags of stuff home on Sunday and it's all sitting in grocery bags in my closet.

Monday I slept in and ran some errands. Tuesday, today, I slept in and stole some internets from a neighbor. A (now former) coworker harrassed me about unemployment insurance via email and I finally made myself apply. I didn't know I'd have to contact the unemployment officials and beg for money every week, so that was a surprise.

So! It's been five days. I'm getting over the shock of getting the boot. Tomorrow I update my resume. And stop feeling sorry for myself.


To Do:
-get out of the apartment (walking in pajamas to the mailbox doesn't count)
-update my resume!
-send copies of updated resume to former boss and former coworker for opinions
-search jobs on worksource. workforce. work...something
-talk to friend who works at a huge company nearby about a possible accounting position
-buy some Bacos (not job-related, but I really like Bacos on my mac & cheese. Which I'll be eating a lot of.)
-clean apartment (hey, I've got the time)
-invite (now former) coworkers out for drinks
-figure out health insurance. eep!

Done:
-applied for unemployment

3 comments:

  1. You are doing so awesome! Its their loss and the economy sucks! Congrats on getting the blog rollin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you probably qualify for COBRA, and if you do, the Obama stimulus that passed in March now covers 65% of it, making payments uber cheap. it takes about a month to kick in, but i highly recommend it. cover your ass, yo.

    ReplyDelete