Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Healthy Living




I'm not quite sure what the deal is with keeping my health insurance after getting laid off. The HR manager told me that I can send checks to the company and continue my coverage, but I'm not sure how much that's going to cost. I'd like to keep my plan now because I love one of my doctors. Hopefully when I get a new gig (knock on wood!) I'll be able to keep going to her.

But not knowing what my coverage is, I've become hypersensitive to injury. I'm not overly cautious or overly reckless in my usual, employed life. But I know that going to the doctor may not be an option, so I'm keeping my guard up.

One of the biggest changes to my life is exercise. I used to walk to and from my office everyday. It's about a mile each way and I think my body is getting mad at me right now for not walking two miles everyday.

My new plan is to clean the apartment so I have the space to stretch and exercise along with yoga and belly dance dvds. Once I have the floor space I'm going to make sure I get a couple hours in a week. I've been sleeping really hard during the night and am waking up with a sore lower back, so the stretching definitely needs to happen!

I'm also going to start walking to coffee shops and bars to use their wifi. This will get me farther out of my studio than the mailbox downstairs and I'll get to be around people. I never thought that unemployment would be so lonely. I'm used to seeing scores of familiar people and stopping to talk to someone every time I go to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I can keep dialogues in my head, but it's really not the same thing.

One good health thing to come out of the pink slip is that I'm not going to a mall food court for lunch. On Monday, my first weekday without a job, I went out for a couple bags of groceries. Yes, I bought a pint of Ben & Jerry's (it was on sale!), but I got some fresh meat and veggies and a couple beautiful organic Fuji apples. I need to sit and figure out menu ideas, but I think this whole eating-at-home thing is gonna be good for both my wallet and my well-being.

To Do:
-um, everything from the previous post
-write up menu and grocery list

Done:
-cooked breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! You should go to coffee shops that are super far from your place.... like one on 15th! Than you totally get the bonus of uphill as well!

    Let me know if you need menu ideas!

    ReplyDelete