Sunday, June 7, 2009

Paperwork and Travel Bug



I still haven't figured out what I want to do. The Seattle weather last week made it very easy to be lazy. I did manage to apply for three more federal jobs, but nothing I really felt strongly about. I still haven't figured out if I want to follow my passions or just get a job.

So, yeah, gotta figure that one out.

I met with my (former) boss this week for a couple hours over coffee. We talked about options for professional references and we figured out a plan for getting the best resumes together. I'll be working this week to write up a Master Resume. This will have every task and responsibility I've done and had in each job and volunteer position I've had. I'll pull information from this master copy for each resume I send out for the non-federal jobs. I'm excited to have this document put together, but, man, just rewinding my brain to the days in retail and food service weirded me out. Spending a couple hours concentrating on that may cause irreparable damage to my mental and emotional well-being.

I kid. My time at a toy store and in a couple coffee shops were pretty great. So long ago, though!

Another occurrence of this week was that I got my last paycheck from my (former) place of employment. Also included were paid out overtime and vacation hours. In nearly four years at this job I took about two hours off. So it's a significant amount of money.

For now it's mostly going into savings (after making a credit card payment and a student loan payment). But my plan since the lay off day was to get a new gig as quickly as possible so I'd be able to splurge on something. I'm thinking of a few more tattoos (easily hidden in case the future job frowns on that sort of thing) or a trip. I started looking into the prices of tickets to far off places and there are some more than reasonable plane tickets to be had out there! The farthest I've been from Seattle is Ottawa, so this travel option is looking really appealing. I've found some under-seven-hundred-dollar tickets to European destinations, so this is looking pretty feasible. I've got a nice passport that needs some stamps in it!

To do:
-work on Master Resume
-find some more jobs to apply for

2 comments:

  1. BOSTON! BOSTON! BOSTON! Also bus tix from here to NYC are like $10 (or less)! If you come I'll spring for Pops tickets so you can drool over Mr. Lockhart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, you make a very convincing argument!

    ReplyDelete