Friday, October 9, 2009

Ah, the Theatah...


I've been a live performance junkie for as long as I can remember and over the last ten years, ever since my first years at university, I've made an effort to go to theater and music performances. I've subscribed to a couple local theaters, the Seattle Symphony, and I'm currently a Seattle Opera subscriber.

So I have no problem dropping many dollars on shows. I got a really amazing seat when I first subscribed to the Opera last season and thank baby Jesus the Opera has a payment plan.

I follow a few of the local arts organizations on Twitter and Facebook so I get wind of discount offers and these have let me see shows I've really been excited about for less than $30. Definitely a good deal.

But I just panicked and wasn't sure I'd get a really cheap ticket to a musical opening this week. I did get a discount code to save money and I've been spoiled by these Twitter discounts and now need to sit at the orchestra level. So I just dropped $50 on a ticket to a show next week. I really love this musical...I've heard the songs since I was a kid but I've never seen it live. But now I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse (which I never get with theater tickets!) because I really can't afford this ticket right now. I mean, I can, I have dollars in savings, so I'm not gonna forgo dinner for a week or anything. But I'm worried that my expectations are too high.

Ack.

2 comments:

  1. Eeeek! Certainly sounds like a dilemma SQ. Perhaps allow yourself this one little show (while I allow myself one little pair of frye boots) and then call it quits until you get a new job? Maybe ask for theater funds for xams?

    ReplyDelete