Saturday, August 8, 2009

Annoyed and Joyed


A few weeks, on a Thursday, I checked my mail and got a notice that on the following Monday I had to go to the unemployment office (again) for a mandatory meeting with someone about something.

I had to rearrange my weekend plans and, luckily, my dad drove me to the meeting. This was the start of a very hot week in the city.

I maintain that this office is the most depressing place I've ever visited. It's gray and sad and full of depressed unemployed people. And the bathroom is scary.

I went back to this woman's desk and she went through the motions of her job. She looked at my resume and told me it sucked. She told me what I needed to add, I said that I put all of those things she'd mentioned into my cover letters. She didn't really acknowledge that. She showed me websites where I can find job listings (thanks, lady, couldn't figure those out). And she printed out a job listing that I had to apply for. It's in another city. It's a temporary position. It pays less than I'm asking for.

Thanks for all your help.

I was really upset when I left and I went home (on a bus on one of the hottest days of the year) and I didn't apply for the job that day out of spite.

I did apply for the job (eventually) because I'd signed some bull form saying I would and that I'd call her to tell her what came of all that.

Whatever.

I got an email from a woman at a law office I sent my resume to. It was actually really nice that she seems to have emailed everyone who applied. This is impressive because she said in the email that she got over 800 resumes in three days. What. The. Blazes. So that made me feel as though I will never, ever be employed again.

I got into a funk for a couple days and figured that I'd be back in retail. Then I figured that to make what I was making at my last job I'd have to work two retail jobs.

I decided to drown my sorrows in a series of novels. I read about 12 books in two weeks. Which is actually pretty cool.

I got word from my sister that family members are worried that I'm destitute and depressed. I pointed out that depression isn't my style; I'm just annoyed at the state of things.

But things look up!

I got a haircut today (so girly, but haircuts and painting my nails make me feel really good) and I talked to someone from an office for about 15 minutes and we scheduled an interview next week! The office is atually in a builing pretty close to where I live and I used to work there. So handy. I also found out today that an office in the same company I just worked for is hiring for a position that I totally rocked at my last office. My (now former) boss let me know that he dropped my name to a guy in that office. I did really like working for that company, and being in a different office is a nice way to stick with the company while saving face a bit. Also, I'd totally get to go to the company holiday party!

This whole unemployment adventure has had its ups and downs. At least I'm getting a ton of sleep.

3 comments:

  1. this is so exciting! when is your interview at 2u?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's tomorrow afternoon! i'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! Back to Union Square maybe? I'd totally visit! Hope your interview was great!

    ReplyDelete