Thursday, September 3, 2009

Food



Really good food is one thing that I have no problem shelling out a lot of money for. I joined a couple foodie friends at a posh sushi restaurant and the bill for dinner for three of us was over $150. I didn't even blink. What we ate was definitely worth that amount.

In addition to buying food at restaurants, I really dig cooking. My friends don't believe this because I like going out for prepared food and I like Kraft Mac & Cheese so much. I just don't cook very often because of a couple reasons. One, the lights in my kitchen are kinda lamesauce and flicker after being on for about a minute. It's like trying to cook at a really lame rave. Two, I live on my own and cooking for one isn't as fun as cooking for, say, three or more people. I know, I know, I can eat leftovers and freeze food, blah, blah, blah. The truth is, frozen food isn't as good as fresh food. It's just a fact in my kitchen.

During this whole unemployment adventure I've been meeting friends for lunch and if that happens I usually have a cheap or really easy-to-make dinner. This is, seriously, mostly mac & cheese. And this is only if I have more than one meal in a day. I've been getting hours upon hours of sleep and I'm usually not hungry for more than, say, a handful of crackers for the first few hours I'm awake. So I'll have some crackers or a few pieces of cheese, then it's mostly just water and maybe a cup of tea until late dinner.

One result of this is that I've tightened my belt a notch. The old jeans definitely got a little baggier. But another result is that I'm eating absolute garbage. How bad is it? Tonight's dinner is a bowl of Fiber One and a large side of broccoli. I had to make myself go to the store (after lunch with a friend) and buy vegetables. I need to clean up my act!

I've started turning to my veggie friend for tips on cooking plants. So delicious! She is responsible for me being a bit crazy about roasting brussels sprouts. And tonight's broccoli was steamed with some basil, salt, pepper, and garlic.

Okay, so, what am I learning? I'm learning that it's okay to go out for food (when the budget allows), but I really need to get healthy food to cook at home. And every time I get groceries I need to get produce that I will cook and eat. This will help me feel healthy and will keep my energy levels in check.

Gah, being an adult is hard sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Awh. You're the sweetest! You may have just inspired a Tuesday post...

    ReplyDelete